sábado, 8 de noviembre de 2014

Teaching And Relationships

I have always thought that teaching, learning and relationships are very deeply intertwined and after I watching the Ted Talk by Rita Pierson,  where she said the same thing, I felt more than validated.
I have also heard teachers who think that their job is only to teach. They insist that they are not paid to put up with certain behaviours from learners or in the words of some people, "to spoon feed or babysit students".
Over the last few years as I got more involved with adult learners, I have learned that my job includes and goes beyond teaching and classroom practices.
I have seen teachers take on different roles; psychologists, counsellor, listener, advisor, cheer leader, confidante. I have myself sometimes taken up the role of a parent, a sibling and more often than not, a friend.
And although, technically, these does not fall into our official job description, this is what being an educator entails.
As a teacher, you are all of that and more.
You are a facilitator.
You are a mentor.
You are a coach.
You are a role model.
You build and foster relationships and you teach them how to do the same.
Remember that it doesn't matter if you're teaching 5 year olds or middle aged executives. This is what we do.
And, the truth of the matter is that nobody will explain all this to you, not in full details anyways.  And nobody will pay you for it. Well, at least not materially.
But, be consoled, you will be told that the rewards and satisfaction of getting it right far outweighs any financial renumeration. And, maybe it does.

I would like to read your opinions.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario