viernes, 21 de noviembre de 2014

Fighting For "The Kids"

Several days ago, a blog post by Valeria Strauss published in The Washington Post went viral, at least among educators. If you didn't see it, read it here.
I read it and loved it. There were so many things she said that needed to be said.
But, I believe that not much is going to change. Parents are going to continue to fight for their "kid" and teachers are going to continue to defend their "kids".
There was a time when I was a teacher working with young learners and I was privy to the many intricacies involved in the relationship between teacher and parents and how kids are most often caught in the middle.
I've heard parents blame teachers for anything perceived as undesired results in their kids and I've seen teachers do the same. I am pretty sure I might have done the same on a number of occasion.
But the truth is that in most cases, both teachers and parents have their kids best interests at heart. Both parties would do their best to get the best possible results for their kids. They will defend their kids by all means necessary. The will fight to death anyone that questions their authority and good will towards their kids.
Nevertheless, parents usually fight for the interest of one/two/three/four children or whatever the number of children they have and teachers will have to fight for a larger number of children.

Sometimes, it is not a fair fight.
Sometimes, sentiments will be hurt.
Sometimes, somebody will be offended.
Sometimes, they might not have all the information, but they will fight anyway.
I understood that all of it is part of the rules of the trade and I told myself that as an educator who is passionate about the positive development of "my kids", I will only concern myself with doing that which I am convinced is the best for them, based on all information at my disposal.
As long as "the kids" are not negatively affected, as long as "the kids" continue to benefit and develop positively, then it's ok for both parents and teachers to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario